Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Red Giant Plugins and Open Directory Accounts

This is pretty specific, but it's also pretty annoying and I'm sure I can't be the only one this applies to.


We have images with all the preinstalled software and settings that we roll out to our edit machines as needed for upgrades and what have you. These images once rolled out still need to have certain software serialized as each seat needs a unique serials. Also of note here is that our editors log in with network accounts to an open directory server.

I haven't really tested this extensively but I've seen this issue across OS X 10.8-10.9 and in the Trapcode Suite, Effects Suite, Color Suite... my non thorough conclusion is any plugin that uses Red Giant's serialization method will be affected on any OS X machine logging in with a network account.


Entering a serial while logged in with an Open Directory account doesn't really work, even though there's no real indication anything is wrong, aside from the red X still making your editor feel they are somehow undeserving of a full license. Was it something they said?

I've got no real caption for this. It's pretty straightforward stuff.


Log into a local admin account on the machine and serialize there. It will do the trick and remove the watermark.

Judging by Red Giant's FAQ, the issue stems from the fact that /Library/System belongs to root/wheel. They give you some troubleshooting steps to change permissions on that but I don't really feel like messing with system permissions if I can avoid it and it takes longer than using a local account for one time registration.


I don't even remember when I discovered this, it's been so long it's second nature by now. I do recall being puzzled when I first encountered it though, particularly since we haven't had any problems serializing any of the other multitude of plugins we use through Admin OD accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment